[Nomads-pm] G'day!

Michael Kraus mkraus at wildtechnology.net
Wed Feb 2 20:41:09 PST 2005

G'day!

George replied to my thread, but accidently replied off list (so see
below for his message - I did check that this was unintentional).

I just found out that Sydney.pm is in the process of re-grouping. (Yay!)
... But I'm also delighted to be part of this non-geographic list.

I guess there are a lot of Perl programmers in Sydney, but there still
seems to be enough of a demand job wise to be able to get a nice paying
job, /if/ you have the experience. (I'll let you know my thoughts
further once I've been to Sydney.pm meet or two - but you may need to
prompt me.)

With Perl, I've done a small number of minor scripts. (Web forms,
emailers and the ilk.) Currently I'm developing Wild's online ordering
system. For this I'm using OO Perl. (I'm also quite interested in OO
extreme-programming, e.g. Agile Software Development, Design Patterns,
etc.)

I've been programming with Perl only for a short time - I've been
contracted here since last March, and developing in Perl for several
months.

What I like about Perl - it's flexibility, portability and CPAN. :) I
like it's c-like syntax. I dislike aspects of it's OO'ness - but then
again it was never designed as an OO language in the first place. (Not
too much of grumble point for me, as I can, and do, still OOP in Perl.)
:)

Programming in Perl is as much about programming in community as it is
programming in a specific language.

Also, I'm a Linux and open source lover - which contribute to my liking
of Perl. (CPAN is bloomin' fantastic!)

Oh, yeah, just in case you didn't get it - CPAN is fantastic! ;)

Out of my participation in Nomads.pm, I'm hoping to:
* improve my Perl skills, in terms of speed and efficiency - in a "safe"
environment
* keep my skills and technical knowledge up to date
* be part of a friendly and fun group
* be recognised for my contributions, however great or small
* keep my finger on the pulse of what is happening internationally with
Perl developers
* stay informed of my chances of contracting/working in Europe and
Israel as a developer

I guess I feel I'm one of the lucky ones - I get to work doing what I
love to do. Being part of community groups like this is a support
structure for that aspect of my life, and if I get contribute back in
some small way then I'm somewhat honoured.

Hope this answers your questions - feel free to ask more.

All the best!

Regards,

Michael S. E. Kraus
B. Info. Tech. (CQU), Dip. Business (Computing)
Software Developer
Wild Technology Pty Ltd
_______________________________
ABN 98 091 470 692
Level 4 Tiara, 306/9 Crystal Street, Waterloo NSW 2017, Australia
Telephone 1300-13-9453 |  Facsimile 1300-88-9453
http://www.wildtechnology.net

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may
be confidential information and may also be the subject of client legal
- legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is
unauthorised and prohibited.   This email and any attachments are also
subject to copyright.  No part of them may be reproduced, adapted or
transmitted without the written permission of the copyright owner.  If
you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the
sender by return email and delete the message from your system.

Sales - Ground Floor, 265/8 Lachlan Street, Waterloo NSW 2017
Admin - Level 4 Tiara, 306/9 Crystal Street, Waterloo NSW 2017
Telephone 1300-13-9453 |  Facsimile 1300-88-9453
http://www.wildtechnology.net
DISCLAIMER & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be confidential information and may also be the subject of client legal - legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.   This email and any attachments are also subject to copyright.  No part of them may be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written permission of the copyright owner.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the message from your system.