[niederrhein.pm] Niederrhein.pm Treffen Oktober 2014 (21.10.2014 - wer die Mail ungelesen löschen will)

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+nrpm at rabbit.us
Sa Okt 18 09:05:03 PDT 2014

I am adding the original re-founder T. Raudssus to the thread

On 10/17/2014 06:05 AM, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> No response (beside Rolands private message) means the mailing list is dead and meetup.com will be the promising successor?

I think the disconnect here is that this is an un-obvious question. I.e.
it's a "I wonder if", not an "ah fuck it - the list is useless anyway".

On a personal note - I never reply to "announcement" emails - I am too
far behind on my correspondence without taking these "checkmarks" into
account. The only reason I take care of RSVP-ing on the meetup site is
so that random observers can see that the group is alive.

Concerning titles etc: I personally do not (and never did) consider
myself a leader or even a coorganizer of the current reincarnation of
the group. The reason meetup lists me as a organizer is because of the
"1st come" model, and because I am paying the 10EUR/mo to keep the
listing running. I did add the extra "venue" of meetup.com not in order
to make it harder/easier for existing members, but because I saw it as
an opportunity to raise awareness of "there is a group that does X".
Consider the following search (no login necessary):

http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords=programming&radius=10&userFreeform=K%C3%B6ln%2C+Germany

And it did somewhat work - there were at least 3 new members that I know
of that visited our little meetups. Keep in mind that it's not my
personal goal to grow our numbers (more on this below). In short I am
not in any way married to the idea, so if most people really *dislike*
the virtually free advertisement we get through meetup - maybe I should
kill the account. I am open to ideas either way (including handing it
over/adding more orgas).

A far as the name goes - I never cared ;) So I have no vote in the
question posed by Winfried. I do know however that both Torsten and Jens
have strong opinions on name/location so I would recommend treading
lightly, as this is a surprisingly explosive subject.

Now to address the central issue (which is - what do you want your pm
group to be). I already mentioned that I do not consider myself a
central figure of the meetup. I visit it as often as I visit the
AmsteramX group, and I do both for the simple purpose of maintaining
long established ties, and possibly (but not necessarily) form new ones
on occasion. That is - visiting allows me to stay in touch with the
fringes of my echo chamber, and also gives me an opportunity to "blabber
about tech" in-person (which is something I lack as a telecommuter). One
important point is that I do not come with the expectation of learning a
lot of new things - simply due to my "seniority" or whatever it may be
called. That is - I am pleasantly surprised when I hear about something
exceedingly cool, but do not expect it as a prerequisite.

What makes me tick obviously can not work for everyone. I should point
out that in a general sense our current format is rather unwelcoming to
someone with a family and a multitude other obligations. As it was
correctly noted in one of the subthreads - talking about
not-announced-in-advance stuff over pizza does not sound to appealing if
you just came from 8 hours in the office. But before attempting to deal
with this general problem, the current group needs to figure out if it
*wants* to deal with it.

So what do you want your pm to be?

To summarize my personal pov - I find the group ok-ish as is, while at
the same time I do not see obvious avenues for it to grow in its current
state. With that said I am explicitly not opposed to any
format/agenda/name/other changes, and for the group to pursue higher
numbers, higher professionalism, or whathave you. The important point is
that even if the current state of things has apparent leaders, I am
definitely not one of them, nor does my schedule allow me to take a more
active role in the future.

What do *you* think? :)