[niederrhein.pm] Wohin soll's denn nun gehen?

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+nrpm at rabbit.us
Mo Jun 3 06:21:51 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 04:39:44PM +0200, Torsten Raudssus wrote:
> Grundsätzlich sind alle Ziele ausserhalb von Köln zu bevorzugen aufgrund
> der Überschneidung mit Cologne.pm

Getty - this is ridiculous. Nobody cares - we are Perl Mongers who want
to get together. We want to do it preferably regularly, and preferrably
in a place and time which is convenient for the highest amount of
people. The more the merrier. And the more often the merrier btw -
Chicago.pm meets twice a month - for a presentation night, and for a
hack night.

All we are trying to "sell" is good time and good company. I guarantee
you that nobody really cares what we are called - heck noboy minds
meeting in a place called Rails*LOVE*. In short - "branding" is not only
irrelevant here - it is actively harmful.

> > jetzt haben wir einiges an Alternativen bekommen:
> >
> > * GarageBilk - Bilker Allee 217, 40215 Duesseldorf
> >   + 30€ pro Abend, WLAN etc. vorhanden und nutzbar
> >   + 2. Mittwoch im Monat ist frei
> >
> > * Solution Space - Brüsseler Platz 26, 50674 Köln
> >   + 30€ pro Stunde (also ca. 150€ pro Abend),
> >     WLAN etc. vorhanden und nutzbar
> >   + 2. Mittwoch im Monat ist frei
> >
> > * Railslove - An der Bottmühle 5, 50678 Cologne
> >   + kostenlos, WLAN etc. verfügbar
> >   - 2. Mittwoch im Monat ist belegt
> >   - unzuverlässig
> >
> > * KOMED - MediaPark 7, 50670 Köln
> >   - 200€/4h, WLAN vorhanden
> >   - können nicht zwischen 20m^2 und 56m^2 unterscheiden
> >
> > * IBO Internet Software e.K. - Wehrstr. 6, 41199 Mönchengladbach
> >   + kostenlos, WLAN etc. vorhanden
> >   - schlecht mit öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln zu erreichen
> >   - noch schlechter zu verlassen

My opinion on the options - I think we should prefer things based on
their cost, and then by their location.

Yes, it isn't a whole lot of money when we split it up. On the other
hand I rather spend the 10EUR on food and beer, rather than on
facilities which we will not even use that much (all we really seek is a
quiet atmosphere, where Wendy can occasionally shout at Getty without
reprecussions).

As a location Köln should pick #1 mainly because of its proximity to
most *uninitiated* permongers. Yes, it is the most inconvenient option
for both me and Dijkmat. But we are not who these meetings should be
optimized for. We want new people: God luck convincing them there is
this cool thing taking place in Mönchengladbach.

My 2c

Cheers