[nr-pm] dmoz.org

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Fre Jan 19 13:49:16 CST 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, DJ Adams wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:53:10PM +0100, R. Burbach wrote:
> > Liebe Perl-User vom Niederrhein,
> >
> > ich habe versucht, unsere Webseite im Open Directory
> > (www.dmoz.org) listen zu lassen. Ich wollte in die Liste unter
> > http://Computers/Programming/Languages/Perl/User_Groups/Europ
> > e/
> > aufgenommen werden.
> [...]
> >
> > Hat jemand von Euch aehnliche Erfahrungen mit dmoz.org
> > gemacht?
>
> Nein, und moechte ich auch nicht, wenn es so laeuft! ;-)
>
> Aber wir haben auch englisch, wenn die unbedingt es so haben
> wollen... Allerdings hast Du aber recht - wir sollten zuerst versuchen
> die deutsche Seite(n) reinzubringen...

No German sorry :)

> Hi Jonathan - sorry to drag you in on this, but we're (well, Regina) having
> problems getting the dmoz editors to accept the Niederrhein PM URL [1]
> for the category above - because it's not in English, despite other PM
> groups (e.g. Paris) that don't have English-language content being in there.
>
> For some reason I seem to have mentally linked you and dmoz - I don't
> know why - in case you do have any experience with them, what do you think
> we can do?
>
> [1] http://niederrhein.pm.org

You are of course absolutely correct.  I was formerly a dmoz editor and
one of the categories I edited was the Perl user-groups one, but you know
how things are - pressures of work and so on meant I couldnt give as much
time to it as I would have liked and I just let it slip.

The basis of the category now was actually created directly from the XML
dump of the PM groups list that came from pm.org but I think now that Leon
is in charge of this as he is using it for the 'Perl Mongers World Map'.
This is part of the reason that there are non-english sites in the
category : I didnt actually look at them before they were added :)  That
and and the fact that I didnt really engage myself in the taxonomical
breast-beating that some of the other editors were into.

I guess what they want to do with it is to put it into the appropriate
'World' category like
'World/German/Computers/Programming/Languages/Perl/Usergroups' (though of
course all but the 'World' in German ) which is likely to be a bit of a
Gulag I would have thought - if the appropriate category doesnt exist then
perhaps one of your number could propose its creation and volunteer to be
its editor - if this was done at least the category could be @ linked to
the main Perl User Groups category.

It might be that the category I was once editor of no longer has an editor
and it is being taken care of by editors from further up the hierarchy -
if they are significantly higher up they might not have a great deal of
knowledge about the Perl Community in general and Perl Mongers in
particular.  If there *is* no editor perhaps someone who is a bit more
sensitive to the subject could volunteer to become the editor of that
category - of course if the editors of the enclosing categories are
particularly officious they might take exception to the inclusion of
non-english sites in the category but hey!

It might also be worth trying to contact the editor(s) of the
category itself (if there are any ) or hte nearest one(s) above through
the editor feedback thingy to see if they might be open to reason.

At the moment I am the train so I can't take a look at dmoz but when I
have a chance I will contact the appropriate editor myself - infact I
might even re-volunteer myself.  I could of course supply them with the
program (of course written in Perl ) that I used to upload the XML stuff
to the categories - unfortunately I dont have the program on me right now.
Heh, if I do that they might be just tempted to run it and add all of the
groups unreviewed :)

Anyhow let me know how you get on and I will you ...

Oh and we still have to get together for a drink when you are next in
Sussex :)

/J\
--
Jonathan Stowe                   |