[Nh-pm] The Perly Way

Ray Cote rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com
Wed May 14 13:48:55 CDT 2003

At 2:19 PM -0400 5/14/03, Paul L Lussier wrote:
>Interesting.  I would've have opted for the third one.
At my stage of Perl development, it takes too long to wrap my mind
around the anonymous code block inside the map. That }@$rowref; line
simply looks wrong to my poor little C++/Pascal-addled brain. :}

>  ... so I would have gone after the efficiency of the the third
To expand my Perl knowledge a little bit more, do you feel the third
example is more efficient because it does not have the overhead of
building a second array?
However, what is the efficiency of always appending to the $string on
each pass vs doing a join (though, for all I know, join may simply
iterate and append as well).

>  (which incidently, has a
>minor bug in it, can you spot it :)
You didn't declare my $string?