[Nh-pm] Hash Persistence?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Apr 17 14:40:39 CDT 2003

  Ben> I personally use the mldbm module found on cpan

Ayup, that's where I seem to be headed after quite a lengthy
discussion with Morbus :)

  Ben> Worked great for me.... then I said 'why am I not using mysql
  Ben> again?' and did that instead.... :)

Well, as I mentioned to MI, I'm using LDAP as the back end, because I
need authentication.  What I'm working on now is a phone-book front
end to the LDAP server. LDAP gives me both a phone/address book, jpeg
store, and authentication in one, with MySQL, I'd have to build my own
auth mechanism.

To summarize the conversation thus far:

  pll> I'm building an LDAP database for my group (about 200
  pll> entries so far).  Originally, this was meant strictly for
  pll> authentication, but I figured, since I have the db set up, I
  pll> may as well use it for the phone book as well :)

  pll> I'm at the early stages, and I figure this is a good case to
  pll> muck with different modules I haven't ever needed before :)

  Morbus> Hell, screw a hash or DBM, suck down the LDAP, rewrite
  Morbus> it as vCards, and then you import them into other
  Morbus> utilities/pm/pda's ;) ...

  pll> Actually, that's the next step :)

  pll> Of course, the real logical thing to do would actuall be to
  pll> cache the final HTML output by the front-end CGI, and skip
  pll> *everything* if that html file exists.  That way there's no
  pll> processing of any kind, just an open, suck it off of disk, spit
  pll> it out to the client process :)

  Morbus> You know, instead of having Perl suck the file off the disk,
  Morbus> just put the cached HTML online, then have Perl issue a
  Morbus> print "Location: $html\n\n";, then you can have Apache
  Morbus> handle all that other crap. Of course, then you're REALLY
  Morbus> taking the fun out of everything ;)

  pll> Doh!!!! Why didn't I think of that!?  Oh, wait, I'm not a web
  pll> developer, that's why ;)

Oh, and I've got the MLDBM thingy working just nicely now.
Thanks to both of you for your ideas :)

--

Seeya,
Paul