[Neworleans-pm] [Nolug] RE: Perl User Group

John Souvestre johns at sstar.com
Fri Jun 8 06:14:39 PDT 2012

I first started learning Perl about 2 - 3 years ago.  I work at an ISP and
Perl seemed like the right language for scripting.  Since then I've come to
like it for programming, too.  I'm just finishing up an application which
has 14K lines of Perl.  I was interested in minimizing the time to write it
so I figured the higher level the language (fewer lines of code), the
better.

Btw - Although most of the smaller stuff I'd done in Perl was for Linux
boxes, this is a user app to run on Windows.  I'm using Strawberry Perl and
I used pTk for the GUI stuff.  pTk is a bit stale and I did find a few bugs
in it, but generally it seems OK.  I didn't run into many problems because
of the Windows run environment.  It's a nuisance that to distribute it to
users around the office I have to send them a 10M PAR exe file and it takes
about 30 seconds to start (unpack) the first time they run it, but that's
pretty minor overall.

There are some aspects of Perl which infuriate me, however.  I like
orthogonal, well defined environments.  Perl is full of exceptions and
corner cases.  From what I've read about Perl 6 it seems to do away with
about half the things I don't like, so I'm looking forward to it.  From what
I gather, it's been in the works for about 10 years, nearly dying, but seems
healthy and on track now and is mostly completed.

Ruby didn't attract me but Python does.  Indeed, I'm still considering
switching to it.  I love the idea of indentation controlling the nesting
rather than syntax.  After all, my indentation is always correct but
sometimes I forget a "}".  :)

But one thing scares me about Python currently.  I'm not sure how stable it
is.  Ver 3 really isn't ready for prime time since only about 15% of the 3rd
party modules are v3 compatible.  Even worse, if I understand correctly, v2
modules often aren't compatible between subversions.  Ouch!  I understand
that they have announced that starting with v3.3 they are going to stop
breaking things between subversions going forward (unless absolutely
necessary).  Good.

On the other hand, from what I've seen, code written for Perl 5.8 generally
runs up through the current version (5.16).  That spans about 10 years or.
I like stability.   :)

Python has definitely reached critical mass, and Perl's popularity seems to
be waning, so I plan to keep an eye on the situation.  With Python getting
more stable and v3 getting more support vs Perl 6 coming out I think it will
be an interesting race.

Or perhaps I'm deluding myself and I should start learning Java.  :)

John

    John Souvestre - New Orleans LA - (504) 454-0899