[Neworleans-pm] what is up with NOPM?

Dave Cash dave at gnofn.org
Thu Mar 10 12:27:10 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Brett D. Estrade wrote:

> The site is still down; I'll help with getting it back up if the
> issue is time...please let me know.

Brett,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you.

Here's what's been going on.  In January, pm.org was forced to
relocate its hosting services.  I chimed in that we would like to be
moved to the new server.  Our files were moved.  But lo and behold,
the site didn't work anymore because the new hosting space is
flat-file-only (and our site depends on CGI).

So I decided to move the site to a hosting space I rent with a
friend.  I had a little trouble figuring out how to work with
WebDAV (via cadaver), since the new pm.org hosting solution doesn't
even support FTP.  But I got the files moved over a few weeks ago.

Then I ran short on time, so I didn't have time to fix permissions,
unlock all the files in the RCS repository, etc.  Last Sunday I had
time and fixed everything up.  The site is now totally functional in
its new location.  I sent an e-mail to support at pm.org at the
beginning of this week asking them to make the DNS change to point
to our site at its new IP (which they do for groups who want to go
this route).  I still haven't heard back from them.  Sometimes
support requests take a while for them to respond to.

So if you see the Forbidden message, it means the DNS still hasn't
been changed.  But I imagine any day now, a visit to
http://neworleans.pm.org/ will show the old, familiar site, gone
from us these two and a half months.

In case anyone's interested, the new IP is 67.18.234.7 (if you want
to tweak your hosts file to get to the site in the meantime).

I apologize for not getting this done sooner.

I hope to see as many of you as possible at tomorrow's meeting.
It's 5:30 - 8:00, upstairs at Fair Grinds Coffeehouse, 3133 Ponce de
Leon (near the soon-to-be-closing Whole Foods on Esplanade).

Take care,

Dave

Dave Cash                              Power to the People!
Frolicking in Fields of Garlic               Right On-Line!
dave at gnofn.org                                  Dig it all.