[Neworleans-pm] Meeting Tonight

Dave Cash dave at gnofn.org
Fri Jun 10 13:06:53 PDT 2005

Hope to see you all at the Perl Mongers meeting tonight.  As usual,
we're meeting at Fair Grinds Coffeehouse (3133 Ponce de Leon in New
Orleans).  The meeting is upstairs from 5:30 to 8:00 (I confirmed
this with Robert, the owner of Fair Grinds, yesterday).

We certainly can talk about my timeclock.pl script if folks want to
do that.  But it won't take us all of the time.

I had an idea for another thing we could do.  Fran has been wanting
to start learning Perl, and she's come up with a small project to
help her do this.  I've talked to her and she says it's okay for us
to use it for a meeting topic if we'd like.

It goes like this: Fran wants an RSS feed aggregator that will show
new entries from all feeds together in one view, sorted by date.
This is different from how many RSS readers work, in that many of
them just allow grouping by feed.  (There may well be something out
there that does what she wants, but it will still be a good
exercise.)

So my proposal for tonight's meeting is to write this script
(probably I'll be doing the typing).  I imagine we'll go through
steps like this:

 1. Spec out the project
 2. Decide implementation specifics and features
 3. Search CPAN for relevant modules to use
 4. Write, test and debug the script

Sorry for the lateness of this post, but I just thought of this as a
possible topic.  If we decide to do this and it works out, we might
be able to do things like this in the future.

Take care,

Dave

Dave Cash                              Power to the People!
Frolicking in Fields of Garlic               Right On-Line!
dave at gnofn.org                                  Dig it all.