[Munich-pm] [NL-PM] Slightly off-topic; help needed with domain redirection from you XS4ALL guys (or anybody who knows the answer)

Steffen Beyer steffenolfbeyer at yahoo.com.br
Di Mär 1 07:09:20 PST 2016

Hi Juerd!
Never mind, problem solved!!
You pointed me to a website (see further below), which gave me the decisive hint:
One has to add the option
Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
to the .htaccess file!
See http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apache-403-forbidden-error-and-solution/
The reason is that I forbade all other options in the .htaccess file in my fluomedia.org document root directory, which says Options Includes (no '+'!).
Now everything works as intended!
Thanks a lot!! :-)
Some more comments follow below:

  On Tue, 1 Mar, 2016 at 14:17, Juerd Waalboer<juerd at tnx.nl> wrote:   Steffen Beyer skribis 2016-03-01 12:55 (+0000):
> please excuse the slightly off-topic posting

It's not slightly off-topic, it's completely off-topic.

> but I know that several of you work for the provider XS4ALL.NL or have
> similar knowledge.

Some of us have kids, but would you ask this mailing list for parenting
advice?[Steffen] If I thought that you were qualified above average, then yes. :-)[Steffen] I consider the people on this list my friends and I thought I could ask them something they might be able to answer from the top of their heads.[Steffen] Your response that my problem was not of that kind was in fact a very valuable hint in itself!

> I have also tried to contact the author of the Mod_Rewrite module, but
> haven't heard back from him yet.

I don't know this author or why you haven't heard back, but many
developers of popular open source products simply can't handle the
enormous amount of people requesting help. Some developers leave the
open source community over this issue, regretting that they ever shared
their work.

If you're using free software that's extremely popular, the best places
for getting help are on-topic community driven platforms. And there are
many. One way to find them, would be to search the web for other
questions about the same product.[Steffen] Actually the module's author, Ralf Engelschall, is a friend and former colleague of mine, so I figured he might answer me if it was an obvious answer.

> but I get 'no permission' and '403 forbidden' errors for all pages:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=debugging+403

Or maybe even http://lmgtfy.com/?q=debugging+403+htaccess

There you will find many things that could be causing the problem, and
some information about locating and reading log files. Since you didn't
address attempts to deal with the most common causes of 403 errors, you
need to work on either your web searching skills, or your question
asking skills. When asking a question, show that you have tried to
understand the issue by sharing all relevant information (in this case:
file permissions, error log).

> The hoster's technical support was of no help, he seemed to know less
> than me.

Have you considered switching to another hosting provider, one that does
provide the kind of support that you require.[Steffen] I should definitely consider that! :-)
--
Met vriendelijke groet, // Kind regards, // Korajn salutojn,

Juerd Waalboer  <juerd at tnx.nl>
TNX
NOTE: Any disclaimer in this message is NULL and VOID. You may ignore it.

NL-PM at amsterdam.pm.org