[Mpls-pm] Frozen Perl 2012

Chris Prather chris at prather.org
Mon Aug 15 09:51:28 PDT 2011

2011/8/15 Leonard Miller <leonard at umn.edu>:
> Chris,
>
> This volunteer that Frozen Perl needs, is the person who determines these
> needs. If you haven't been involved with a workshop before then this would
> be a difficult, although not impossible job.
>
> the processes is typically:
>
> 1. Book Venue
> 2. get sponsors/attendees/speakers/classes/students/food. Each of these has
> its own timeline.
> 3. determine schedule
> 4. bring it all together on the day(s) of the event.
> 5. pay your providers.
>
> We are looking for someone who will make sure that everything is getting
> done, and none of the important steps are being skipped, or done poorly. I
> don't have the time or energy to be in charge, but I would bring my
> experience to the table, as would others I am sure. We are almost at the
> point where we don't have enough time to start too.

The Lead Organizer role is the least defined of all of them. They're
the person that makes sure that everything is done (either by making
sure that there is someone trustworthy doing it, or by doing it
themselves). Leonard has a really good list here, although I think #2
is woefully understating the complexity involved ... each of those
choices really could be a separate point.

For a perspective Perl Oasis typically has two people organizing it,
we split these tasks between the two of us. YAPC::NA this year had
somewhere around a half dozen committed volunteers, with possibly up
to a couple dozen people helping out in substantial ways over the
course of the event planning cycle.

-Chris