[Mpls-pm] Perl Monger's Tonight?

James Smith josjr69 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:25:57 PDT 2010

Just curious.

I'm deep in the middle of "modernizing" my perl-self, seeking to
de-old-school myself. If anyone is around and willing to have a cup of
coffee and I'l like to compare notes about "modern" perl, current
"relevant" perl skill sets and contract work vs full-time/permanent
work.

Since this will mark my twentieth year of working with Perl, I figured
I'd put the pdf copy of my original, first edition, first print
"Camel" book on my web site for download and look-see:
http://www.josjr.com/download/pdf/Perl_First_Edition_January_1991.pdf

I had to special order it at the Barnes and Noble in Roseville in the
winter of 1990-91.

I now have an instance of Catalyst server in place on my new "cloud"
virtual personal server running:
http://s15338188.onlinehome-server.com:3000/
http://josjr.com/

Now that my course is over, the server is in place and I've put some
big requests for the University behind me I can start plowing through
the mountain of new technologies that been integrated beneath the hood
of Catalyst and whatever cooperating client frameworks are running in
the browsers (JavaScript [Ajax, ExtJS, jQuery], CSS, XHTML, XML, XSLT,
etc).

I have a number of applications I want to build in Catalyst;
Tools for Writers
Kindle Resources
Publication search engine for Writers (gather submission guidelines
and organize them in a database for writers, presented by genre).

I have scanned and OCR-ed all of my technical books and I am now in
the process of creating Kindle ebooks (prc, Mobipocket creator) of
them. With my eyes it is very difficult to read physical books, so the
Kindle, with it's eink and network connectivity have been wonderful in
my Catalyst/JavaScript explorations...

There is a natural language/speech researcher at the University who is
interested in collaborating on adapting some of his web-deployed tools
within the Catalyst framework.

I would also, and probably first, like to develop some interactive
Catalyst tutorials that would help those interested (like me) to get
past the initial, somewhat overwhelming learning curve of Catalyst,
ORM, etc. I will start by integrating examples for various tutorials
on the web and develop some of my own. If any of you have some simple
Catalyst-deployed applications that would be good candidates for
incorporation into on-line tutorials send them my way.

Personally, in spite of the abrupt shock of being laid off and the
up-coming insecurity that I will be facing as August approaches, I am
excited about taking a fresh look at these world of Perl that never
seizes to amaze me.

Anyway, if there is anyone meeting tonight let me know.

Meanwhile, back to my retreading...

Jim
josjr at umn.edu

--