[Mpls-pm] De-lurking...

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Tue Feb 16 19:26:28 PST 2010

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, James Smith wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here has any experience developing web
> applications with the Catalyst Framework? I am impressed with what I
> have been reading about this technology and (like many geezer
> programmers) wish that it was there a few years before. Anyway, I was
> wondering when the next meeting was going to be and also curious if
> anyone wanted to talk about their experiences with Catalyst. Since my
> appointment at the U will end in July, I have a few months to re-tool
> as I plan my future and I have (at least for now) decided to focus on
> this framework as my "modernizing" task.

I've used Catalyst for several projects, including http://vegguide.org/

I like it a lot, and think it's the best option for any substantial web
app in Perl. For trivial apps, you might be better off with something more
minimal (CGI::Application, Web::Simple, etc).

> Any thoughts on what would be a good personal project to become
> acquainted with the Perl of today in preparation for the jobs of
> today?

Find an itch and scratch it?

Or you could just do what everyone else does and write half of a blog
application.

> Also, is it my imagination, or is there a surge in Perl energy now in
> the computing world at large (excluding the Twin Cities, of course
> since there just doesn't seem to be all that much going on here?).
> After twenty eight years here in the Twin Cities (twenty using Perl)
> it seems like relocation is a distinct possibility.

So Frozen Perl a week and half back was nothing? Seemed like a lot to me.

Yes, I'd say Perl is seeing a resurgence. Specifically, Perl people are
making an effort to talk about Perl publically and to promote Perl to the
world at large.

> Looking forward to seeing faces and linking them up with names I have
> been watching over the years (except for Dave Rolsky who was working
> at Digital River when I was there about ten years ago).

I read that as you not looking forward to seeing my face, and take it
_very_ personally ;)

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)