[Mpls-pm] Food for Thought, on Perl in the Minneapolis marketplace..

Gypsy Rogers gypsy at freeq.com
Thu Oct 22 12:07:42 PDT 2009

I agree with you Gary that I'm in a great position to continue to promote
perl. Also, this is a timely discussion for me because I've been debating
for nearly two months if it was time to transition my company from a
primarly perl company to a php company for the reasons I've already expressed.

My company is in that stage of growth that every company driven by a
developer hits at some point when it tries to grow, what we need is more
bodies who grasp the basics of coding just to knock out stuff, not hard core
architecture and development work because as the owner of the company I can
still handle the majority of the actual engineering.

For ME this is a very key turning point. Because I know I can bring in a
coder or two and teach them to be engineers using my thought process and
methodology helping me grow my company to the point that I'll be hiring at a
higher level next time around. So, looking at talent pools is where I start
to realize that by sticking with perl I box myself in to much fewer options,
even when I look at out-sourcers so few of them know perl that it's hardly
worth the effort of dealing with someone overseas.

I'm sure several people on this list will write off my input because they
see me as trying to skimp or be cheap because I don't want to hire someone
at the level most perl guys come at but the fact is that I don't need one of
those guys, I need a code-monkey. And, the simple fact is that if my
perception (as a perl guy myself for 15+ years) is that the talent pool of
perl people is small and it will hinder my ability to grow my company then I
can't imagine the perception of people who have no religious affiliations to
perl.

But, yes, I will take that thought in that yes, I could probably hire a low
in php guy and teach him perl, they are very similar languages. So, now
instead of weighing the option of php vs perl for a direction of my company,
I will add to my option list (php guys learning perl). More to think on, oh
boy. :P

Perl is to PHP as FreeBSD is to Linux, and I haven't dropped FreeBSD yet
either. :P

(btw: I know at least one other company locally who is in the midst of the
exact same decision point, I know this because the owner of that company and
I have been talking at length, both of us weighing our options)