[Mpls-pm] Food for Thought, on Perl in the Minneapolis marketplace..

Nicholas Melnick nick-list at dytara.com
Wed Oct 21 15:40:22 PDT 2009

I suppose that ultimately, it's a matter of what you need accomplished
and why. I'm self employed and freelancing here in Minneapolis, but I
was in a few hiring positions while I was in Seattle. I found that I
could get programmers of a higher caliber if I went with Perl
developers over PHP developers. That being said, when we were hiring
at a $30k-40k range, we'd certainly find many more PHP developers than
Perl developers, but they were all pretty entry level, having either
solid knowledge but no experience, or a lot of small experience but
really inexperienced in creating maintainable, scalable designs. On
average, a Perl programmer wants more money, but I've found that the
contributions they make fall in line with what we had been paying
them, minus one or two outliers.

There is a culture problem, though, that you really hit in your
earlier email. A lot of these PHP devs whine and moan when they have
to work on Perl, but that's because bad Perl tends to look worse than
bad PHP in web development, because there are more built-in facilities
in PHP that the base level kid can use and be familiar with. The PHP
community and howto guides constantly use Perl as the example of
"wrong", so it's almost taught to every one of them that Perl is a
terrible language. In Perl, you can find someone using five different
styles of web development, forking, and other nonsense, and I have
seen many applications that have made me nearly swear off Perl myself.

Thing is, you can change culture. Perl was the top tool in the late
90s and early 2000s, but it was swept aside by low barriers to entry
(This would be PHP, and note the similarities to the Visual Basic
onslaught in the 90s), or sex and framework (This would be Ruby). We
have Moose, we have DBIx::Class, we have Catalyst, we have a semi-sane
threading model now, and incredible system and framework support. No
one out there is really creating a unified movement to change how
people feel about Perl, and promoting excellent Perl code.

One thing I liked that Chris said was that it's hard to change the
global perspective, but a culture can be changed here in the Twin
Cities. In the late 90s, we had a booming culture of startups, but
we're laying low now. Why not use this opportunity to promote Perl as
an elegant, fast, rapid development language, at least here in the
Cities?

  - Nick