[Mpls-pm] One day Moose class?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Mon Jul 27 09:44:56 PDT 2009

I have this one day Moose class I've developed. I was supposed to give it
at YAPC, but I was sick and cancelled my trip.

Here's the class summary I wrote for YAPC:

---------------------

This will be an interactive hands-on course all about Moose. Moose is an
OO system for Perl 5 that provides a simple declarative layer of "sugar"
on top of a powerful, extensible meta-model.

With Moose, simple classes can be created without writing any subroutines,
and complex classes can be simplified. Moose's features include a powerful
attribute declaration system, type constraints and coercions, method
modifiers ("before", "after", and "around"), a role system (like mixins on
steroids), and more. Moose also has a vibrant ecosystem of extensions as
seen in the variety of MooseX:: modules on CPAN.

This course will cover Moose's core features, dip a toe into the
meta-model, and if there's time, explore some of the more powerful
MooseX:: modules available on CPAN

Students are expected to bring a laptop, as you will be writing code
during the class. You will also be provided with a tarball a week or so
before the class is scheduled, which will contain a directory tree
skeleton and test files.

---------------------

The class ended up being taught by Shawn Moore, and I got a lot of good
feedback about the class slides and exercises.

I'd really like to give the class myself, and I was wondering if there was
interest locally. I'd reserve a conference room at a hotel or on the UMN
campus in Minneapolis or St Paul. I'm hoping to do this some time in
August or September.

Normally, a one-day training session like this would run about $500 per
person, but since this would be my first time actually giving the class,
the rate would be a mere $120 per person.

In return, I want each attendee to commit to answering a short survey I'll
give them after the class so I can get feedback on the class and my
teaching. So there is a small price for the discount ;)

In order to make this happen, I'd need at least 5 people to sign up.

If you have questions about the class, let's discuss it on list, so
everyone can see the answers.

If you're interested in attending, please let me know what days of the
week are best. Would you prefer a weekday, Saturday, or Sunday? Or maybe
it doesn't matter. Feel free to send this to me via private email.

If there is enough interest, I'll schedule it and then announce it on this
list.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)