[Mpls-pm] local places

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Tue Feb 13 09:37:51 PST 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Matthew Johnson wrote:

> Joe's Garage seems OK.  Vietnamese doesn't seem very Minnesotan (or
> American).

In what way is Vietnamese food less American than what's served at Joe's
(which AFAICT include things like Thai food)?

While the stereotype of Minnesota is Swedes and Norwegians, the fact is
that the Twin Cities has a decent size non-white population as well,
including Vietnamese, Hmong, Ethiopian, and Somali. Those are cuisines
you'll find a lot less of in many other places, and AFAIC the fact that
they're so common here makes them as Minnesotan as anything made by white
people, to be blunt.

That said, I'm fine with going to Joe's. They told Ken they could make
vegan food. My take on it is we should present a few options to brian and
let him pick what he's most interested in.

-dave