[Mpls-pm] Looking for _really_ cheap colo or dedicated server

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Thu Aug 16 05:49:22 PDT 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 12:20 am, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> I have a server in my house and every darn time I go on vacation I have
> some sort of problem with it or my DSL. This is getting annoying, but colo
> and dedicated servers are too darn expensive.
>
> Does anyone know of anything cheap (<= $40/month) in this area? I've
> looked into virtual servers but to get enough memory (1 GB at least) I'd
> need to pay a fair bit of money.

I have had the same experience over the last many years and have wondered the
same. Inevitably inertia and/or wallet keeps me at home.

IIRC there was a thread on the local unix sysadmin list a couple years ago
about a colo coop arrangement, where folks chipped in on a rackspace and also
helped admin each others' boxes, which is especially nice when you're out of
town and lightning hits.

Maybe a PM colo coop? No idea what that might cost or what other risks might
be involved.

--
Peter Karman  .  peter at peknet.com  .  www.peknet.com