[Mpls-pm] Looking for _really_ cheap colo or dedicated server

Jay Jarvinen jayjarvinen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 01:18:42 PDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Dave Rolsky <autarch at urth.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know of anything cheap (<= $40/month) in this area? I've
> looked into virtual servers but to get enough memory (1 GB at least) I'd
> need to pay a fair bit of money.

Hey Dave,

This may not fit you precisely, not local, not default 1GB RAM, but ..
here it is.

I just went through this a few months ago, enticed by the VPS pricing
and then inevitably finding 128-256 RAM or a horror story about
overselling and/or _fill in the blank_.

I signed on at SectorLink about 2 months ago now.  It's an
unmanaged[1] dedicated (not VPS) w/2 static IPs, 512MB ram, paid
annually = $40/month.

Price hit sweet spot for me ... it it were $79, it may as well be
$119, and so on.

For dedicated, this was effectively half the going rate, or double the
RAM & Xfer-limit, depending how you see it.  So, the angle? It's
unmanaged and they're hoping for the upsell.

http://sectorlink.com/dedicatedservers.php  - some details below

I haven't visited Michigan to see their self-owned Data Center with my
own eyes,  but I'm happy thus far (as advertised w/zero problems).

I plan to re-up after my 3-month plan, despite the fact my new partner
(not in Cities) has an unmetered 5Mbit w/room to grow and plenty of
rackspace.  The SectorLink deal sitting on Fiber? I'm comfortable, and
I'm tired of replacing parts on self-hosted.

The trade off comes down to squeezing into the hardware the provide,
they may be flexible (for a price).

I'm interested if others have stories on other providers in this price
range for dedicated.

I don't work for SectorLink. Would I qualify for an affiliate bonus? I
have no clue.  Mostly, I'm just happy to report that after a dizzying
amount of clicks and comparisons my choice has worked out well to
date.

-Jay

[1] unmanaged, yes - but they do have some thoughts on keeping the
systems 'up-to-date' (inquire within)

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+ Processor
or .. Pentium Dual Core 1.8Ghz Processor
80 GB SATA Hard Drive
512MB DDR2 RAM
500GB Bandwidth
2 Static IPs