[Mpls-pm] Frameworks and session management?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Fri Nov 10 17:07:20 PST 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, David Naughton wrote:

> I'd love to hear more regarding Alzabo vs. DBIx::Class. Can you be more
> specific, maybe even point to an already-existing comparison?

Well, I think it all starts from a basic philsophical difference. IMO,
when you design an app which needs a dbms (and I think many, many apps do
need one) you should start with the design of your database, and then
write code. In other words, data has primacy over code. OO is a terrible
way of managing data, and anything that makes you use OO mechanisms for
data management seems wrong, as does starting with a class design.

I think Alzabo supports the "database-first" design method, whereas
DBIx::Class (and Class::DBI even moreso) support an OO-first design. That
doesn't mean you couldn't use them differently, but I think they're
oriented towards people who don't want to know as much about the DBMS, and
would prefer to just think of objects.

-dave