[Mpls-pm] Frameworks and session management?

David Naughton naughton at umn.edu
Thu Nov 9 07:35:43 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:34:04AM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:

> Eric Eklund scribbled on 11/8/06 9:02 AM:
> > I am looking to rewrite some old legacy code utilizing either
> > CGI::Application or Catalyst.  Looking at the two different frameworks
> > will quickly give a Perl novice a headache.  Does anyone have working
> > experience with either of these frameworks and session management?  If
> > so, would you be willing to share an example.  I have searched the Web
> > for tutorials that contain the features I am looking for and have come
> > up fairly empty handed.  At this point, I am siding toward CGI::App due
> > to the perceived learning curve of Catalyst.
> >

> well since I can't do my Cat talk tonight, I'll take a stab at this.
>
> My 2c on whether to use CGI::App or Catalyst is that it depends on how you
> intend to deploy your application. If it's going to be in a shared or
> non-mod_perl environment, then go with CGI::App. If you can run under mod_perl,
> then Cat is a good choice. CGI::App will also run under mod_perl, but Cat does
> not play well as a cgi.

Not sure exactly what you meant, Peter, but here's a clarification.
While it's true that a non-persistent, e.g. plain old CGI, environment
is not ideal for Cat, mod_perl is not the only persistent environment.
Cat does just fine with persistent CGI environments like FastCGI and
PersistentPerl. In fact, many Cat developers prefer those over mod_perl.
What's more, the Cat engine automatically detects its environment,
allowing you to switch, for example, between mod_perl and FastCGI
without changing any code.

[..]

David Naughton
Web Development Manager
Networking & Telecommunications Services
University of Minnesota
naughton at umn.edu