[Mpls-pm] Frameworks and session management?

David Naughton naughton at umn.edu
Thu Nov 9 07:14:56 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:02:25AM -0600, Eric Eklund wrote:
> I am looking to rewrite some old legacy code utilizing either
> CGI::Application or Catalyst.  Looking at the two different frameworks
> will quickly give a Perl novice a headache.  Does anyone have working
> experience with either of these frameworks and session management?  If
> so, would you be willing to share an example.  I have searched the Web
> for tutorials that contain the features I am looking for and have come
> up fairly empty handed.

Have you seen this, Eric?

CGI::Application::Plugin::Session Example
<URL:http://cgiapp.erlbaum.net/cgi-bin/cgi-app/index.cgi?CgiApplicationPluginSessionExample>

That's a page from the CGI::App wiki, which I hope I've mentioned in our
previous conversations about these frameworks. Sorry if I haven't
mentioned this great resource until now.

> At this point, I am siding toward CGI::App due
> to the perceived learning curve of Catalyst.

I have mentioned this to Eric before, but in case others haven't seen
it, there's an excellent and fairly new article about CGI::App on
perl.com:

Rapid Website Development with CGI::Application
<URL:http://www.perl.com/lpt/a/984>

The article mentions a lot of impressive new features and plugins, many
of which were clearly motivated by competition with Catalyst. The new
stuff fixes a lot of the clunkiness that caused me to switch to
Catalyst. Looks like a very good option for those who may not want all
the features of Catalyst, but do want easier installation and a
shallower learning curve.

David Naughton
Web Development Manager
Networking & Telecommunications Services
University of Minnesota
naughton at umn.edu