[Mpls-pm] Call for talks: 12 July technical meeting

Ian Malpass ian at indecorous.com
Wed Jun 28 12:22:47 PDT 2006

Right then.

We're due a meeting on 12 July, by my reckoning. Just as one can't make
an omelet without breaking eggs[0], we can't have a technical meeting
without any technical talks, so now is the time to volunteer.

Talks can be short or long, but 5-20 minutes is sort of typical. Example
topics:

  * "This cool CPAN module I love using."
  * "What I learned at YAPC::NA."
  * "How to do X with Perl."
  * "An appreciation of under-appreciated feature Y of Perl."
  * "This interesting technology I use along with Perl."
  * "How Perl rocks my world."[1]
  * "How I solved my problem with Perl, duct tape, and a small stick."
  * "Gosh, I got this book from O'Reilly to review and I haven't yet,
which is making me feel rather guilty, a guilt I'd like to assuage by
giving a short talk on it at a technical meeting, after which I'll feel
much better and will go to Heaven."[2]
  * "Here's a thing I'd like to discuss with other Perl users."

Technical meetings are very low-key and laid back (with pizza,
usually[3]), so if you've never given a talk before, it's an ideal place
to start. Slides are entirely optional. Answering questions afterwards
also optional. You don't have to be a Perl guru to talk.

I know some people (myself included) have volunteered to talk before,
but I've lost track of who and what, so if you'd like to volunteer again
I'd be most grateful.

Proposals for talks to me (or the list, but you're welcome to mail
off-list if you prefer) by 5 July. If we've got enough, we'll schedule
the meeting. If we don't, we'll have a social meet at Espresso Royale
and I'll roll the talks over to next month.

Ta.

Ian

[0] Dave will no doubt have a vegan recipe to prove me wrong.
[1] Metaphorically. Unless you use it to drive jackhammers, piledrivers,
or other heavy equipment. Which would rule, really. Please talk about that.
[2] Warning: speakers may not actually go to Heaven.
[3] And some godforsaken cheeseless parody of pizza if Dave is present.
I mean, really.