[Mpls-pm] [OT] TC Linux Users Group Installfest

Matthew Johnson matt at omega.org
Thu Jun 1 11:01:14 PDT 2006

I plan on getting the knoppix-mythtv distro (knoppmyth)  working on
my a PC HDTV hd3000 video card. -Matt

http://www.tclug.org/installfest/installfest-06-03-2006.jpg
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html
http://www.mythtv.org//modules.php?name=MythInstall
http://revision3.com/systm/mythtv/
--------
This Saturday, 10am.

Location:
Heritage Christian Academy (HCA)
15655 Bass Lake Road
Maple Grove, MN 55311
West corner of Bass Lake Road & Vicksburg Lane N.  (Yahoo and google
maps incorrectly place HCA on the South corner, but it is actually on
the West corner.)

Note that Bass Lake Road to the East is under construction.  There
are several locations where the road turns sharply or narrows
unexpectedly.  Please follow the posted speed limit for your (and
your computer's) own safety.

Park in the West lot and use the West entrance.  The West parking lot
is behind the building as viewed from Vicksburg or Bass Lake Road.
There is a traffic loop by the entrance that you can use for
unloading.  The rooms will be just 20' down the hall from the
entrance.  We'll try to have carts available.

Phone number at the site is  763-463-2268.  Don't call till the
installfest as this is the phone in the lunchroom.

Arrival times:
9:00 Doug Coats & Wayne Johnson
9:30 Other volunteers who want to set up or have installfest
infrastructure equipment
9:55 Gurus, Wizards, Magi, Noviate, and others interested in helping
installees (if you can't make it at 9:55, show up when you can).
10:00 The public

Equipment:
The following people have volunteered to bring equipment:
Install distros portable 250Gb HD (USB, firewire ATA-6 if needed) -
Wayne Johnson
Install-server with 120 GB disk and a DVD-burner - Florin
24 port network switch - Florin
3 16 port 10/100 switches - Doug Coats (HCA)
Video Projector - Doug Coats (HCA)
Name tags & Registration supplies - Wayne Johnson
Long power cords - Wayne Johnson (anyone else have some?)

HCA is short on CAT5 cables, so bring your own and some to share, as
well as power strips and extension cords.

If you have other equipment you'd like to bring, feel free.  We can
never have too few toys.  Redundancy is good.

Roles:
coordinator - Contact for all other participants
                 Wayne Johnson - wdtj at yahoo.com
host - Has the connection to the location
                 Doug Coats - dcoats at heritagemail.org
sponsor - Represents an organization that provides the location,
equipment, network, materials, food, beverages, etc. to the installfest
                 Heritage Christian Academy (HCA)
(www.heritageweb.org).
receptionist - greets people as they come in, gives them a name tag
and has them sign a waiver
         Committee:
         Wayne Johnson
         Doug Coats
         Additional Volunteers

Other stuff from the installfest FAQ...
Setup -
         We'll have 8 10' tables (not terribly strong, but they
should suffice).  We'll arrange them in 2 U shaped clusters.  Each
cluster will have a network switch and a main power strip.  We will
also have a smaller table for registration and one for food.
         We also have the room across the hall for demo's etc.  David
Christian [dbc at rpath.com] will be demoing.
Internet access -
         Connection (or 2) to HCA backbone with Cable Modem access.
HCA will set up a subnet just for the installfest, with DHCP.  DNS
server is via ISP, DHCP will suggest DNS IP address.  (HCA does not
have a DNS cache... yet).
Telephone connection -
         We can set up a phone line on request.
Power -
         We have at least 2 20 amp circuits.  That should be good for
15 PCs.  Additional power can be run from other rooms as necessary.
Lunch -
         We'll order pizza from Angino's at 11:30.  People wanting
pizza can join the pizza pool at registration (donation requested).

Wayne Johnson
Senior Software Engineer
MQSoftware, Inc.
1660 S Highway 100