[Mpls-pm] System-context referencing of in-house perl libraries

James Oliver Smith, Jr JimSmith at CyberPoet.com
Tue Feb 7 14:10:18 PST 2006

Hi...

I have a web-based system that I have developed here at the University
of Minnesota which currently runs on Solaris and Debian *nix systems,
and now needs to run on MS-XP as well.

There is an extensive set of libraries that I use which I want to use on
MS-XP systems, as well as on the *nix systems.

Currently, I use the following 'use' directories to reference these
libraries:
use lib "/usr/local/bass/lib";
use lib "/usr/local/bass/alder/lib";

which will not work on MS-XP, which would need something like:
  'c:\Program Files\bass\<libraries>'.

What I would really like to be able to do is determine what kind of
system the system is running in and then determine which library paths
to use, depending on whether it is running on MS-XP or some other
systems. Eventually, I would like to run (potentially) multiple test
systems, each referencing a different version of the libraries.

So, the question is, since the 'use lib' seems to be resolved at compile
time, how does one, within perl, reference different library locations
(but the same library synchronized via CVS) in a
system-context-sensitive manner, without using a predefined environemnt
variable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

--