[Mpls-pm] [pm_groups] Hackathon Chicago (fwd)

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed Aug 30 10:16:23 PDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Andy Lester wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2006, at 1:09 AM, Dave Rolsky wrote:
>
>> Whee! I'd like to go but if ST isn't paying I don't know. I probably
>> couldn't drive since my wife needs the car.
>
> Bus?  Train?  If there's Amtrak, then it would let you off at Union Station,
> where you'd then walk a block north to the Metra station and you'd take the
> train out to Pingree Road where the hotel is.

In typical American fashion, taking a train is barely cheaper than flying
($130 vs $158), but it takes 8 hours (slower than driving by an hour+).

Taking a bus is out of the question. All the discomfort of air travel, but
for much, much longer! Yeehaw!

As a side note, I just took the bus here in Taiwan from Taipei to
Kaohsiung (6+ hours). The bus had a total of 15 seats, each of which was
like a La-Z-Boy recliner. Each seat had its own little TV, and attached to
it is one of those "100 games in a controller" things that lets you play
every Nintendo game ever made (more or less).

Total cost: $25 per person one way

If we had buses like that I'd take a bus.

-dave