[Mpls-pm] Next meeting?

Ken Williams ken at mathforum.org
Wed Oct 26 20:17:12 PDT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Craig S. Wilson wrote:

> Dave Rolsky wrote:
>> I think that a fair number of the people who come to tech meetings
>> are not
>> Perl experts, nor do they program mostly in Perl at work.  I think
>> lots of
>> people come because they use Perl for hobby projects, or because they
>> use
>> it some of the time at work along with other tools.  I think the
>> speakers
>> tend to skew perceptions a bit since they often tend to be the most
>> experienced Perl folks.
>
> Even if you use Perl a lot, who has the opportunity or the time to use
> ALL of it?  Especially given the wide array of CPAN modules
> available.

Heck, even the core language itself has tons of little Balkan regions
to it.  I've been programming in Perl forever, I consider myself The
Perl Expert in many settings, and I'm just now starting to use pack()
and unpack() on a regular basis and know what I'm doing.

And then there are some things that I probably knew at one point, but
are *so* rarely used that they're completely gone from my memory.
Things like reset() and ?regex? searches.  And format() and write().

This is why God invented "perldoc -f" and "perldoc -q".

  -Ken