[Mpls-pm] Next meeting?

Lee Carmichael lecar_red at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 12:01:31 PDT 2005

> > Class::DBI::Loader would be interesting. I tried
> using it once upon a
> > time with PostgreSQL and found that it mostly
> didn't work. If works
> > well now, that'd be good to know.

I've had pretty good luck using it with mysql (the
Class::DBI::mysql module is pretty cool too).

> A general Class::DBI talk would be good, too, if
> anyone fancies
> volunteering. I've used it before, and it was
> groovy, but I don't know
> that I was getting the best out of it. A lightning
> overview, or a
> full-blooded talk.

> There are also lots of Class::DBI::* modules out
> there that do funky stuff
> too, but I know little of what are good and what
> aren't. And without a
> grounding in Class::DBI, they don't make too much
> sense.

I think you are correct. It seems like something about
Class::DBI would be better as a full talk since there
is a bunch of small details under the covers and such.
For me it was tough getting used to not doing joins
but setting up class relationships. I'm not really an
expert (just a user of it) but maybe in the new year I
could put something longer on it. But that is pretty
far away to commit to anything. ;)

> I've also never done any overloading, so that would
> be good too. I recall
> seeing Joshua use some of it in his talk, and
> thinking "oh yes,
> overloading - it would be nice if someone would do a
> talk on that" ;)

I think this would be more accessible and useful to
most Perl coders since it can be used in more
situations and most Perl coders are familiar with
built -in operators. At least I hope....

Take Care,

Lee