[Mpls-pm] Perl Jobs at Reuters (St Paul)

twincitiesPM@toiletmonster.org twincitiesPM at toiletmonster.org
Fri Nov 25 14:17:18 PST 2005

Hi!  Reuters (formerly Bridge) is hiring.  Reuters is a media and
financial news conglomerate based in London.  There are 7 full time job
openings here at the downtown St Paul development office.

I've personally been very happy working here as the development
environment is Perl/Unix/cvs/bugzilla/wiki and developers are often
given room to solve problems in their own way.

Our office is a relatively small (40 people?) group which develops
backend financial data processes.  We use Perl for data collection,
parsing, and distribution processes.  We use Sybase for our database,
and most servers are Sun Solaris boxes.  Perl and SQL are the main
skills required, but mod_perl/Mason, C, and knowledge of bonds and fixed
income are also a plus.

In case any one is concerned, I didn't personally find any problems with
the intellectual property part of my contract.  But then I don't know
what the legal mumbo jumbo in your contract is going to look like.

Here is the official job description:

The qualified individual will be part of a team developing fixed income
information and analytics products.  The team is responsible for
enabling the core infrastructure for fixed income reference data, used
by internal and external Reuters content clients worldwide.  Successful
applicant will be responsible for the design, implementation, QA,
documentation, production release, and ongoing support and maintenance
of systems consisting of web applications, automated processes and
databases.

Job Specifications:
*         Demonstrated experience in all phases of software development
from design to release of production systems
*         Strong analytic thinking skills.
*         Familiarity with agile development techniques beneficial
*         Related degrees: Bachelors degree in computer science or
related field or equivalent experience
*         Required languages: 2+ years programming in C, C++ or Perl;
SQL (any variant)
*         Required products: 2+ years experience with UNIX or Linux
variant
*         Optional languages: XML, HTML, Java, Python, Ruby
*         Optional products: Sybase SQL Server, Apache, modperl, Mason,
CGI, Autosys, Bugzilla, Wiki, CVS
*         Optional knowledge: financial markets, specifically fixed
income instruments

Seven full-time positions, complete benefits package (health, dental,
vision, FSA, 401k), salary will be competitive and depend on experience.

Michael Smit is doing the hiring, so send him your resumes:
michael.smit at reuters.com.  Old timers might remember that he used to
show up at Perl Mongers meetings every once in a while back in the day.

You can email me any questions you have about the job or about what
Reuters is like.  However, I'm going on vacation tomorrow and will be
out of the country for 2 weeks so I won't be able to respond for a
while.  I think that also means I'm going to miss the December Perl
meeting.

Have a good Thanksgiving weekend!

Eric