[Mpls-pm] Another lightning talk note

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Thu Nov 10 14:21:38 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, jira0004 wrote:

> Generally, I think the thing to do would be to ask folks upfront to
> reserve an amount of time with the minimum being 5 minutes and the
> maximum being 30 minutes.

I'd say a max of 20.  30 is approaching full length talk time.  At that
point you may as well go for 45 and just be the only presenter.

> I think that folks should be able to ask questions/make points during
> some one's talk so the scheduling should include maybe an additional 10
> minutes for questions/points made during some one's talk.

That might work too.

> I should note, I am strictly opposed to a buzzer; you can always ask
> someone to conclude their talk and do an applicable follow-up another
> night in the future.

It's very awkward for me to interrupt a speaker to say "5 minutes left" or
"you're over".  Maybe I'll bring a bell (like at hotel or restaurant
counters).  It's not an obnoxious sound and it doesn't really interrupt
the speaker.

-dave