[Mpls-pm] Another lightning talk note

Ian Malpass ian at indecorous.com
Thu Nov 10 12:15:50 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> So folks are doing a pretty bad job at keeping them down to 10 minutes or
> so.  I went way over in answering questions.
>
> My question to the group is whether or not this is a problem.  My personal
> take on it is that I'd prefer people try to stick to a time limit, as it
> encourages you to think more up front about what you want to say rather
> than rambling cause you know you can go way over.

I don't have a problem with stricter time limits, as long as they're
applied to the talks, and not the Q&A afterwards. Or, rather, as long as
there's a separate time limit applied to the Q&A afterwards. And as long
as people then keep their questions until the Q&A, rather than asking them
mid-talk.

I think for a lightning talk, keeping questions to the end probably
wouldn't be difficult or bad. For something like the OOP talk I was
supposed to give last night, it might be easier to allow for questions
mid-stream rather than lose someone because the speaker explained
something oddly.

Ian

-