[Mpls-pm] [OT] Connectivity in Minneapolis

Ken Williams ken at mathforum.org
Thu Mar 31 09:15:00 PST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Chris Siegler wrote:

> Ken Williams wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2005, at 1:31 AM, Chris Siegler wrote:
>>>
>>> Try SunRocket for your VOIP. They have a yearly plan for $199
>>> (~$17/month) and will refund your unused months if you cancel.
>> SunRocket looks pretty good.  Thanks for the tip.
>>>
>>> There's also a promo for a free 2 handset phone if you use promo
>>> code SRAUD3. That expires 3/31/05.
>> What does a "2-handset phone" mean?  Can't I just plug the thingy
>> they'll send me into the main incoming phone line for the house, and
>> then use our regular phones throughout the house?
>>  -Ken
>
> Nope. If you want more than one phone you'll need to hook up a
> wireless phone with expandable handsets. You can't just plug it into
> the wall jack.

According to http://www.sunrocket.com/help/faqs/install/ it *can* be
done, but they try to make it sound scary:

-----------------------
   * Can I use the inside wiring in my house to power multiple phones
with SunRocket service?

  It is possible to disconnect your traditional phone service and then
connect the gizmo to your inside wiring. However, this can be
potentially hazardous to your equipment and to your home's inside
wiring and possibly expensive to fix. You need to make sure the phone
company has completely disconnected from your home before connecting
your modem and the gizmo to your inside wiring. To avoid unwanted
repair costs, SunRocket recommends contacting a licensed wiring
technician to install this type of solution.

I'm not quite sure why I'd need the "phone company" to disconnect the
wiring, it seems straightforward enough to just do it right where it
enters the house.  The telephone wiring in the house is completely
disjoint from any other wiring and only has a single point of entry,
AFAIK.

  -Ken