[Mpls-pm] [OT] Connectivity in Minneapolis

Craig S. Wilson craig at wavefront.net
Wed Mar 30 08:23:30 PST 2005

Chris Siegler wrote:
> Ken Williams wrote:
>> I'm moving to a new house elsewhere in Minneapolis in a couple months,
>> and I thought I'd take the opportunity to cheapen my home connectivity
>> by going DSL-only (no voice) with Qwest and use Vonage for VOIP.  But
>> it looks like it's really no cheaper; Qwest charges $49.99 for a bare
>> DSL line (which *is* pretty fast, 896K up and 1.5M down - they don't
>> offer the cheaper options for bare DSL) and Vonage charges $24.99 for
>> a call-all-you-want plan.  That's a total of $74.98, which is a
>> whopping $3.95 cheaper than our typical phone bill.  Not worth it.

> Try SunRocket for your VOIP. They have a yearly plan for $199
> (~$17/month) and will refund your unused months if you cancel.

The other thing to remember to factor in is long distance.  Does your
Qwest plan include unlimited long distance, as Vonage does?

You can reduce your Vonage cost component if you make less than 500
minutes per month of calls.

My business line, with Premium DSL and a package of features, but no LD,
is $86 a month.  I would expect more difference between that and a
consumer line.

--

Craig S. Wilson     craig at wavefront.net
WaveFront Communications, Inc.