[Mpls-pm] Perl pre-tests

chris at prather.org chris at prather.org
Tue Mar 8 14:00:54 PST 2005

I forgot to bounce this back to the list.

Subject: Re: [Mpls-pm] Perl pre-tests
From:    chris at prather.org
Date:    Tue, March 8, 2005 1:59 pm
To:      "Matthew Johnson" <matt at omega.org>

> Does anyone know of a website with a perl test on it.  I'm curious if my
knowledge in perl is complete.  I've gone through "Learning Perl" and
"Perl Programming" from O'Reily.  I also have the "Perl Cookbook" and
some of the stuff in there amazes me a bit.   I would think there would
have to be two sections to the test, one for procedural perl and one for
object oriented.

I think it's safe to assume that if you're talking about Perl. Your
knowledge is never complete. I feel fairly confident with my perl in
nearly every situation I'm placed in, and I consider myself at *best*
intermediate level, perhaps "advanced beginner".

I don't think any real test could show your knowledge of Perl was comlete,
perhaps sufficiently advanced and or competent with regard to whatever the
tester was looking for but certainly not complete. Would you say your
knowledge of English was complete? Would you say that after reading
something by Lewis Caroll, T.S. Elliot, or [your own favorite authors
here]?

That said, the Southflorida Group had a quiz they used several months
(years?) ago at a meeting. And there is the Quiz of the Week
http://perl.plover.com/qotw/ and a google search turned up
http://www.jimandkoka.com/display.cgi/quiz/quiz.tpl?quiz=28 ...