[Mpls-pm] xml based web page

Ian Malpass ian at indecorous.com
Fri Jul 23 15:03:57 CDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, shemus wrote:

> I have been looking at EXtreme Programming for Web Projects and trying
> to make some sense of it all.

It's XP - you're not /meant/ to make sense of it.

> Apparently you're supposed to produce
> xml files that describe the pages

So, like XHTML then? ;)

> and then use a script to produce the
> html files dynamically. Here is the first iteration of my current
> design. Sorry about the formatting.
>
> http://www.visi.com/~shemus/pageview.cgi

For static stuff like this (I'm assuming it's static, anyway) is it not
better to run the script once and have it dump the pages out? That's what
I do for a lot of my stuff (although the data's in a database rather than
an XML file).

Also, you seem to be using POST rather than GET, which (amongst other
things) means you can't bookmark any pages, and search engine spiders are
going to give up and go away. (This may be a feature, not a bug.)

You can also do exciting Apache wonderfulness to pretend that a whole
static file system is present, when in fact it all gets served by a CGI.

Ian

-

The soul would have no rainbows if the eyes held no tears.

Ian Malpass                     ian at indecorous.com