[Mpls-pm] Specifying DNS Server

Uncle Grimmie uncle.grimmie at grm.cotse.net
Mon Jul 19 11:02:22 CDT 2004

Hi, folks -

My organization is using both "normal" DNS and Active Directory DNS.
These two systems agree to disagree in a relatively predictable manner,
and sometimes in a wildly unpredictable and entertaining manner.

I perform audits on systems that have member servers in both DNSs (DNSes?
DNS's? DeeEnEssEz?), and one of my first jobs is to layout which servers
look like what to whom.

I'd like to do everything with gethostbyname and gethostbyaddr, but
unfortunately I cannot figure out how to explicitly specify what DNS
servers to use. As a result, I'm doing a small portion of my queries with
a wrapped "nslookup" command. Yuck.

Help?
-Glenn R. Marshall