[mplspm]: What's the tech sector like in Minnesota?

Michael Smit michael.smit at reuters.com
Tue Jan 6 17:13:48 CST 2004

At 10:27 PM 1/3/2004 -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
>One employer I know that uses Perl is the local Reuters branch which used
>to be Bridge, before Reuters bought them.  They use Perl for processing
>lots of financial data feeds.  I interviewed there and they seemed nice,
>but they have a draconian IP contract that claims ownership of _any_
>creative work you do at _any_ time while employed there, so I couldn't
>even consider working there.

It's been a while since I posted (and even longer since I've attended a
meeting).  I work at the aforementioned Reuters office.  In our defense, we
also thought that the IP contract was too inclusive as well, and didn't
proceed to the step of negotiating with the lawyers so that it was more
reasonable.  So it might not be that bad.

This holiday message actually comes at a good time, because it looks like
our office is about to take on more responsibility within Reuters, and
we'll be needing help to get it done.  This help will have to start as
consultants, although if we succeed we anticipate being able to offer
permanent employment at the end of the contract (end of year
timeframe).  There may be some permanent positions to start with as well,
but I can't tell you how many at this time.

We're a small (30 people) development office for a large (12,000 employees)
global company (http://www.reuters.com/) working on backend financial data
processes.  We use Perl heavily throughout our data collection, parsing,
and distribution processes.  We run Sybase for our database and most
servers are Sun Solaris boxes.  Experience is important, but we will hire
junior people too if you're a good match for us.  Unix, Perl and SQL are
the most important skills, with mod_perl/Mason, C, HTML, and bond knowledge
extremely helpful.

If you have questions or are interested, please drop me a line so I can
send more information when I get it.  Brief qualifications/links are
welcome, but don't worry about resumes yet.

Michael Smit
Manager, Fixed Income Development, Reuters America