[mplspm]: About Ponie

Ken Williams ken at mathforum.org
Sat Apr 17 22:05:09 CDT 2004

There was some talk about Ponie at the last meeting.  Earlier today
Jarkko chimed in about what Ponie is, on the macosx at perl.org list:

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi at iki.fi>
> Date: April 17, 2004 10:39:26 AM CDT
> To: macosx at perl.org, "Andrew M. Langmead" <aml at world.std.com>
> Cc: Mac OS X Perl <macosx at perl.org>
> Subject: Re: Suggested version for Mac OS X.2?
>
> Andrew M. Langmead wrote:
>
>> The odd numbered releases are the development
>> track. (When you try to run some script against them, something goes
>> wrong and you say "oh, that seems odd!")
>
> Right.
>
>> The 5.7 development track lead to the 5.8 stable release.
>
> Right.
>
>> The 5.9 (Ponie) development will lead to a stable release of 5.10.
>
> Wrong.  Ponie is off the chart, or maybe more like 5.11, or maybe
> more like 5.9+i (as in a complex number).  Ponie is more or less
> taking the bones of Parrot (the Perl 6 virtual machine) and hanging
> on the flesh of Perl 5.9 (runtime).  Or putting in a Porsche motor on
> a Mercedes body, if that sounds less gory.  Or in other words,
> Ponie = Parrot + Perl 5.9.

So it's not really that perl 5.9 "will be" Ponie, but rather there will
be *a version* of perl 5.9 with parrot as its guts, and that's Ponie.
But that's just the plan, and I'm not sure how far along it is or
whether it's mostly vaporware, so I guess I'll just believe it when I
see it.

  -Ken