[mplspm]: using perl with MS version of Secure FTP

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed Nov 12 11:49:10 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Gypsy Rogers wrote:

> I'm looking for a module or example script where someone has automated a
> client for Microsoft's implimentation of Secure FTP.
>
> I know that the standard for sftp runs on port 115 and uses ssh protocol
> but Microsoft seems to want to run on port 443 and use SSL for thiers.

This doesn't sound like SFTP, but rather FTP over SSL on a non-standard
port, aka ftps.  According to my /etc/services file, this normally runs on
port 990.

> I'm searching CPAN for a mudule right now and was looking for an RFC
> document for this protocol as well at Microsoft. Both searches are so far
> fruitless.

Well, it's just FTP over SSL, like we have telnet over SSL, POP3 over SSL,
etc.

I don't think Perl's Net::FTP module supports this (though I'm sure
patches are welcome ;) but you could probably just spawn an external
executable that supports this.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com