[mplspm]: date/time questions

arthur.goldstein at att.net arthur.goldstein at att.net
Fri Jan 10 12:09:26 CST 2003

I recommend

Calendrical Calculations: The Millennium Edition
by Edward M. Reingold (Author), Nachum Dershowitz (Author)

Copying the amazon.com editorial review:

This new edition of the successful calendars book is being published at the
turn of the millennium and expands the treatment of the
previous edition to new calendars and variants. As interest grows in the impact
of seemingly arbitrary calendrical systems upon our
daily lives, this book frames the world in a completely algorithmic form. The
book gives a description of twenty-five calendars and
how they relate to one another: the Gregorian (current civil), ISO
(International Organization for Standardization), Egyptian (and
nearly identical Armenian), Julian (old civil), Coptic, Ethiopic, Islamic
(Moslem), modern Persian (both astronomical and arithmetic
forms), Baha'i (both present and future forms), Hebrew (Jewish), Mayan (long
count, haab, and tzolkin), Balinese Pawukon,
French Revolutionary (both astronomical and arithmetic forms), Chinese (and
nearly identical Japanese), old Hindu (solar and
lunisolar), and modern Hindu (solar and lunisolar). Easy conversion among these
calendars is a by-product of the approach, as is
the determination of secular and religious holidays. Calendrical Calculations
makes accurate calendrical algorithms readily available
for computer use with LISP, Mathematica, and Java code for all the algorithms
included on the CD, and updates are available on
the Web. This book will be a valuable resource for working programmers as well
as a fount of useful algorithmic tools for
computer scientists. In addition, the lay reader will find the historical
setting and general calendar descriptions of great interest