[mplspm]: reminder: wednesday meeting

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Tue Sep 24 15:08:55 CDT 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, James FitzGibbon wrote:

> I'm not talking about a full-blown thing.  Just a "pick Dave's brain over
> coffee" session.  Exceptions are the big thing for me right now, since I'm
> in the midst of building an exception hierarchy and are running into some
> questions that are more philisophical than technical in nature.

That's fine.  I'll be there on Wednesday and if people ask questions I'll
answer them.

> I recently read through Matt Sargant's (sp?) presentation from OSCON on
> Exceptions, and though he lists Exception::Class as a best practice, he
> doesn't give much in the way of large-scale examples of it's usage.  I
> suppose reading the Alzabo (and Mason?) code would be a good place for me to
> start, right?

Alzabo uses exceptions more than Mason, or at least it defines more
exception classes.  Both use them in various ways to both report errors
and communicate out-of-band results.

> Yeah, running programs using your modules through B::Deparse is fun in a
> sick kind of way.  Especially with -p turned on.  8-)

I can only imagine.

> Since you do a lot of generator code, have you had a chance to benchmark its
> performance?  Or does increased usability win over that need?

Well, the only performance impact will be when it is generated.  I
generally arrange to have the code generated when the module is loaded,
which usually coincides with process startup.  It definitely can slow down
starting a process (if you use Alzabo::MethoMaker on a big schema, it can
take quite a while to finish, for example) but once the code's generated
it's no different than non-generated code in terms of performance.

And code generation can actually be used to _increase_ performance, since
sometimes there are things you only know during code generation that can
be used to implement optimizations.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun