[mplspm]: Helpful info on Safe module

James.FitzGibbon James.FitzGibbon at target.com
Tue Sep 24 14:55:30 CDT 2002

Well, it's safer than a blind eval, should you ever be in the unfortunate
position of having to that.

I did think that the Penguin module was a good use of Safe, though it never
seemed to go anywhere.

Penguin allowed you to bundle up a block of code, PGP sign it, and send it
to a
remote server.  The remote server verified your signature, then constructed
a Safe
compartment and ran your code.

There haven't been updates to the module in some time though, so the choice
of a
flightless bird as a moniker was perhaps more apt than the author intended.

Still, the idea of Safe was good - I think one big problem was that you
needed to
really grok perlguts and Opcode in order to do much useful with it.

Anyone have any experience with SafeTcl who could compare and contrast?

--
j.

James FitzGibbon
Consultant, Ajilon Services, TTS-3D at TPN4H
james.fitzgibbon at target.com
voice/fax 612-761-6121/4277