[mplspm]: reminder: wednesday meeting

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Mon Sep 23 23:33:51 CDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, James FitzGibbon wrote:

> IIRC, Dave R. was going to present something at one of the more formal
> meetings some months ago about large-scale programming projects in Perl
> (presumably experiences from Mason/Alzabo).
>
> Now that I've had to try to apply some of the topics that were to be
> discussed (specifically testing and exceptions), I'd like to hear other's
> thoughts on best common practices.
>
> Dave, you still out there?  I saw a new Alzabo release on the CPAN mailing
> list this morning and some ramblings in the ChangeLog about a vacation...

Yeah, but I'm definitely not ready to do such a presentation.  FWIW, I was
planning on covering some of the following areas:

- parameter validation for subroutines/methods

- exception handling

- logging

- perhaps on-the-fly code generation (something I do a heck of a lot of)

- ??? - I'll take requests.  If there's something people want to hear
about, I can take a crack at it.

The first 3 items are there because I wrote modules for them,
Params::Validate, Exception::Class, and Log::Dispatch respectively.  The
latter two modules are seeing pretty wide adoption, especially
Log::Dispatch, which has pretty much become the "standard" logging
solution for Perl, especially now that people have built some log4j type
solutions on top of it.  I do use the word "standard" in quotes
intentionally.  This is Perl, after all ;)

Given my current workload, I don't know if I could do this for October.
November would probably work.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun