[mplspm]: A project for MPM

siegler at visi.com siegler at visi.com
Wed Oct 30 03:27:56 CST 2002

Quoting Dave Rolsky <autarch at urth.org>:

> If there's any takers for #1, here's a reasonably complete list of
> "interesting" Perl date/time modules along with my comments about them:
>

> - Time::Piece (and Time::Seconds) - nice interface, nice simply date math,
> but only handles epoch times, which is a drag.  See also my
> Time::Piece::MySQL module, which adds some mysql-specific bits.  Similar
> modules for other DBs/external resources can be added just as easily.
>
> - Class::Date & Date::Handler - kind of like Time::Piece on steroids, but
> I don't see why they can't all be integrated.
>
> - Date::Manip - ridiculously large amount of code.  crapulous interface.
> freaking brilliant parsing code that handles things like "2nd day after
> next Tuesday" or "the first day of the last week of the next month".  Also
> has some internationalization bits for parsing, which is doubly slick.  If
> this thing could return a Time::Piece object (and T::P handled times
> outside of the epoch), I'd be in heaven.
>
> - Date::Calc - lots of nice date math functions.  Stupid interface
> (Function_Names_Like_This).  Written in C so presumably its fast.
>
> -- Date::Calc::Object - OO interface over Date::Calc.  Interesting.  Also
> has Date delta objects.  Cool!  Works with Date::Calc functions, which
> have stupid names, but making a wrapper for that wouldn't be too hard.
>
> -- Date::Calendar - seems quite useful
>
> - Date::Parse - lightweight so it's a good choice if you know that you'll
> never exceed its limitations.  But those limitations are pretty big cause
> it doesn't do much.
>
> - Date::Format - basically strftime in Perl.  Time::Piece provides the
> same thing.
>
> - Time::Zone - see above
>
> - Time::Human - could be useful for some apps
>
> - Time::TAI64 - currently says not to use it, but it could provide
> something useful is author releases, stable, documented version.  Relies
> on libtai by Dan J Bernstein, known psycho.
>
> - Date::ICal - nice interface, would mesh well with Time::Piece.  ICal is
> important for calendaring apps.  Date::ICal is part of the reefknot
> project, which aimed at implementing all of iCal in Perl, but seems to be
> more or less defunct.
>
> - Date::Interval - could be interesting but seems to have a weird API.
>

> And quite a few more.  Also check out the now defunct reefknot project at
> www.reefknot.org, which has more resources on dates & times.

I've used Time::ParseDate quite a few times. Has an adept parser that handles
complex stuff and understands time zones. Returns date as seconds since epoch.
Handy for ebay scripts.

This is a good idea! whenever I want to do something date related, I always
seem to find a few modules that almost but not quite do what I want, each with
its own api.

Chris