[mplspm]: Job Opportunities

Michael Smit michael.smit at reuters.com
Thu Oct 17 16:04:34 CDT 2002

Greetings!

It's been a long time since I've been able to make it to a meeting, but
some people probably still remember me a little.  However, I have Perl news
that is somewhat topical...  Our office is hiring, and we love Perl.

Things have changed a lot since we last looked for people for our downtown
St. Paul development office.  For one, we're Reuters now.  Yes, the media
and financial news conglomerate.  So we've gone from Bridge with 1600
employees to Reuters with over 15000.  (see www.reuters.com for more).

What hasn't changed is that we're still a small (30 people) development
office working on backend financial data processes.  We use Perl heavily
throughout our data collection, parsing, and distribution processes.  We
run Sybase for our database and most servers are Sun Solaris boxes.  It's
only through Perl that we can get our work done.

And we have 3 or 4 full-time positions open (not consulting at this time
unfortunately...  we want you body and soul).  Experience is important, but
we will hire junior people too if you're a good match for us.  Perl and SQL
are important skills, with mod_perl/Mason, C, and bond knowledge extremely
helpful.  As a BigCo, Reuters has a decent benefits package and salaries
should be competitive with the market.

I know recently I saw several messages on the list about the tight job
market for Perl programmers, and it's about time that we got to hire some
help for our increasingly important role within Reuters.  If you're
interested, please feel free to email me with questions or resumes.

Michael Smit
Manager, Fixed Income Database Development, Reuters America

the views of Reuters Ltd.