[mplspm]: Module validity?

Chris Josephes cpj1 at isis.visi.com
Mon Oct 7 06:51:49 CDT 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Thomas Eibner wrote:

> I'm almost certain that there has been cases of someone just uploading
> a module and interfeering with another modules namespace that HAD to
> change their namespace (can't remember when I read in the modules at perl.org
> archive). But of course noone can forbid you to call your module something
> outside of CPAN, but it was kinda implied that he wanted to upload to
> CPAN where he correctly need to have approval for the namespace.

A long time ago, probably before Solaris 8 came out, Sun Micorsystems
wanted control of the "Solaris::" namespace, but there were already
modules in it.  There was a concern about the existing modules, and the
fact that Solaris was a company trademark.  In the end, Sun changed their
minds and decided to claim "Sun::Solaris::".  So far, there's only 3
modules in that namespace, but they aren't documented.