[mplspm]: Module validity?

Thomas Eibner thomas at stderr.net
Sun Oct 6 19:13:34 CDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 06:52:26PM -0500, Chris Josephes wrote:
> Just a question of opinion, for those that have uploaded modules to CPAN.
>
> How much public discussion do you normally engage in regarding a pending
> module upload?  CPAN recommends discussion just to make sure nobody else
> is trying to accomplish the same task, or that there is no dupicity in
> CPAN modules.

I've discussed with people on mailinglists and IRC before starting a
new module before.

> I have a project I'm working on.  I plan on using the code myself for
> sure, but the principle of the code is relatively common on CPAN.  It's a
> template parser, and there are already a few of those uploaded.  I'd like
> to upload the code to CPAN to see if there is interest, and to maybe
> encourage outside development and involvement.

You could bring it up on perlmonks.org or a similar discussion fora, like
NEWS:comp.lang.perl.modules (is that right?). I'm afraid though, that you
are not going to get much possitive additude if you're making yet another
templating module without really bringing something brilliantly new to
the module (not my own attitude, but mostly the attitude of people on
different mailinglists I've encountered).

> Can anyone relate any experience they've had in discussing their code in
> perl forums?  Has anyone ever been given the recommendation that they
> shouldn't upload their code??

There have been a lot of people that have been told to find different
namespaces at least. I don't think many authors have been directly
forbidden to upload their modules (if any)

Good luck though :)

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer> <http://photos.eibner.dk/>