[mplspm]: Submitting patches to module maintainers

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Thu Jan 31 11:35:37 CST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, James.FitzGibbon wrote:

> The idea I had was to promote the idea of getting module developers
> to host their modules on SourceForge.  That way when a bug is reported
> it goes into the tracking database for that module and the author can't
> just indiscriminately delete it.  The author could also start discussion
> groups so that potential patch submitters could bounce their ideas off
> of other users of the module before sending the final patch to the
> author.

SF has the crappiest bug tracking DB I've ever seen.  If you're a cpan
author then you should encourage people to use rt.cpan.org, which is much
much nicer.

However, there's a bigger problem...

Mason is on sourceforge and we tried briefly using their bug tracking
system.  What we found is that most of what we got as 'bugs' were user
error or feature requests or other non-bugs.  And since anyone can enter a
bug (anonymously, basically) there was no easy way to respond.  Frankly,
the users list is a better forum for this sort of stuff, at least for us.

For actual bug tracking, we have a combined todo list/bug tracker on the
masonhq site that we use.  It's a lot nicer than the one of Sourceforge
too.

> Best of all, if the author needed to take a temporary hiatus, it would
> be easy to give CVS commit access to a trusted lieutenant who could
> take on the task of committing patches.  When the author was ready to
> come back, they would be able to track the exact changes that had taken
> place in their absence with CVS.

Yep, the CVS stuff is great.  The mailing lists are really nice too.
That's about all we use with Mason.  For Alzabo, I also have a home page
there and I put file releases there (and on CPAN too).

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun