[mplspm]: Perl Jobs in Mpls/St. Paul area

Jeff Gleixner qglex at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 14:48:49 CST 2002

--- Ken Williams <ken at mathforum.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 9, 2002, at 04:17 PM, Jeff
> Gleixner wrote:
> > I recently was layed-off from Qwest, where I led
> the
> > development of qwest.net, using Apache & mod_perl,
> > Mason, MySQL, on FreeBSD.
>
> Wow, qwest.net uses Mason & MySQL?  That's cool.

Thanks.  Very cool.  It was all due to one of Dave's
presentations a long time ago at one of the Monger's
gatherings.  At the time, there was a big interest in
going the ATG Dynamo/WebLogic route.  However, after
Dave's presentation and a bit of research, Mason did
(and still does) everything we needed to do, was much
cheaper, :-) and worked well in the FreeBSD
environment, so it was the best choice.

> You suppose they'd be interested in putting
> something up on
> http://www.masonhq.com/about/sites.html ?  Can't
> hurt to ask. ;-)

I should have done that a long time ago.  At this
time, or very soon, it'd be more accurate to say that
Qwest.net used to use Mason.  Qwest "migrated" their
consumer customers to MSN and with that decision went
the main purpose for using Mason, to serve
personalized content for qwest.net, and my job. :-)
However, it may be used to manage and build the site
on a staging server for some time, since it made
building/managing the site so easy that a
non-technical manager has been managing the site for
over a month.  Maybe I made it too easy.. hahhaha..

See ya

-Jeff