[mplspm]: Is 5.6 faster than 5.005?

Chris Siegler siegler at visi.com
Thu Feb 14 16:44:10 CST 2002

I have some code that parses html (using HTML::TreeBuilder) that I run
off my shell account. It's very cpu intensive stuff. Would Perl 5.6 run
this code faster than 5.005? I was trying to get the sysadmin to upgrade
Perl (they have a build from 1999 running), but he doesn't agree that a
newer binary would help run time. I really don't know much about Perl's
compilation phase, so don't have much to go on, but I think 5.6 would be
faster. Is there any page out there benchmarking versions of Perl
(towers of hanoi, etc.)?

 Chris